Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 23:52:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gene Bomgardner <glb@brightstar.bomgardner.net>
To:        David Oleszkiewicz <davido@labrador.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var filling up

> so after about a week and a half of firewall messages and normal logging
> messages, my /var fills up.  i scan through all the logrotated <log>.gz
> files for anything interesting and then i remove them.  the thing is the
> /bin/df output shows that /var is still above 100%.  This means i can't
> send or receive mail or anything interesting like that.  i reboot and then
> everything is ok.
>
> /var is it's own slice with like 20M
> FreeBSD 4.3
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem

Used to. /var would fill up, but I never had to reboot
to recover space. What I did was edit /etc/crontab's
newsyslog entry. I added "-a /usr/log.archive" to it and
created the /usr/log.archive directory. Now the
zipped files wind up on the /usr slice where there is tons
of room. Voila, no more /var jams.

Gene