Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:35:47 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Understanding AC97

Nick

> I have been seeing more and more reference to AC97. It sounds to me like
> some sort of standardization for soundcard innards

Yes that is it.

It works like this (Cameron, Luigi, please corrrect me if I'm wrong)

Several companies make AC97 chips which have the same
feature set.
These AC97 chips then have to be interfaced to the ISA bus or the PCI
bus,
which is performed by each of the more well known sound card
chipsets.

Eg on SB PCI 16/64/128 there is an es1370/1371/1373 PCI chip and a
seperate AC97 audio codec.
I think the AC97 handles the play/record/sample rate issues.
The es1370/1371/1373 handles mixing audio sources, the PCI bus,
registers
IRQs and DMAs.

> Particularly, my K7M motherboard has a VIA 82C686
> AC97 codec on it. 'device pcm'
> doesn't pick it up, so there's clearly
> more to it.

Is that with FreeBSD 3.4 or 4.0?

While AC97 is a standard, you still need
to know how to setup the chip which interfaces AC97 to your
ISA or PCI bus.

Roger

--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.