Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:56:59 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-CD Backup Utility (?)

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Does anyone have a multi-CD backup utility you use on FreeBSD?
>
> I'm looking for something to make the process of backing up partitions
> larger than 650MB/700MB to CDR/CDRW as painless from possible.

I have a script that recursively decends down a given tree and then
"partitions" all the files it finds (using whole directories of files
if possible) into CD-sized chunks--it then uses this information to
create files that mkisofs could use. You basically do things one
"partition" at a time with mkisofs | cdrecord. I routinely "backup"
all my Gigs of MP3 files onto N CD-RW discs. I've never actually
backed up /usr in this manner, but I've run the script on /usr just
to see "what it would do" and it did pretty well (in terms of memory
and runtime).

The script is in REALLY poor shape as far as user friendliness. I
have been meaning to clean it up and integrate it into the
flexbackup port that I maintain, but just haven't had time (for a
long time ... :( ). If you'd like to grab it from me, just sent
private e-mail.

-Jr