Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:29:09 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, fscked@pacbell.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trivial hack for pccardd(8)

> From: Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
> Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:36:16 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > : > What's wrong with pccardd_flags=-z?
> > :
> > : Any way that these could become the default flags in -stable?  I asked
> > : before, but you said it was too close to a release (4.6R at the time).
> >
> > I don't think it would be a good idea to change this default in
> > -stable.  If we did, would we get more complaints from people whose
> > boot time suddely was much larger?  I think so.
>
> The extra 2-3 seconds increase in boot-time has happened *so* many times
> over the lifetime of 4.x branch that I doubt anyone would notice it for
> adding -z.
>
> My 486/66 running 2.1.5++ boots *way* faster than my 1.8Ghz P4 running
> 4.7-stable in the portions that FreeBSD is responsible for. :(

I'm on Nate's side here. The number of people who need to boot 10
seconds faster vs. the huge number of things that can go wrong as the
result of what is in rc.conf or installed tools when the network is
not really there yet has always struck me as not worth arguing about.

The lack of "-z" is a problem just waiting to crop up and the cost of
a fix is minimal.

Now, if I could just get my 5.0-DP2 system to see my Ethernet card...

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)