Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 1998 22:57:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   gzip/tar error?

Just recently, tar.gz archives I pull from FreeBSD all produce this error
when doing a tar -xzf to them:

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
/usr/bin/tar: child returned status 1

This doesn't happen with anything I tar and gzip myself.  Could my tar
binary have been corrupted?  This has happened now with the latest version
of ppp (from Brian's page [6/30/98]), and the newest lesstif (as of July
1, 1998).  The unarchives files seem to be okay.  This erro, though, has
me worried.  Should I recompile tar, or could this be something else?
Thanks.

Joe Clarke