Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 97 15:00:01 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD ISP FreeBSD-ISP@freebsd.org" <FreeBSD.ISP.FreeBSD-ISP@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "BIND Users List" <bind-users@vix.com>, "bind-bugs@vix.com" <bind-bugs@vix.com>
Subject:   Installing BIND 4.9.6 or 8.1.1 in FreeBSD 2.2.1

	I can still remember the frustration of people telling me "just install it"
when I was new to system administration, so I thought I'd put together some
instructions for installing the newest versions of BIND since the question has
come up a few times now.  Also, someone was talking about putting together a
port, so hopefully this will save them some time.

	The only changes I have had to make for either version of BIND are
in regards to the man pages, so this is actually pretty simple.  However I am
not a programmer, so it's possible that there are changes that do have to be
made.  I doubt this is the case however, since all of the binaries and libs build
and work as advertised.

	I only have 2.2.1 systems to work with, so there may be a few details
different if you're using something else.  Particularly, there are some changes
that have to be made to get 8.1.1 installed in the 2.1.x branch of FreeBSD that
were recently detailed on both the FreeBSD and bind-users lists, so I won't
belabour that.  My advice to anyone using 2.1.x is to upgrade to 2.2.x, and
install BIND 8.1.1, although I realize that's not possible for some people.  In
fact, I myself installed BIND 4.9.6 on a FreeBSD 2.2.1 system for a couple
reasons, so you do what works for you. :)

	My hope is that someone from the FreeBSD team will put together all
the changes that have to be made, and send them to the bind folks so that we'll
have a true port.  At minimum, I would like to request that the ISC include the
following comments in the top level Makefile for 4.9.6:

# FreeBSD 2.2.1 - These changes install the man pages in FreeBSD
# format.  You will also want to go into /usr/share/man/man<1,3,5,7,8>
# and gzip -f the new man pages to replace the old ones.  For instance, in
# /usr/share/man/man1 you would execute gzip -f *.1
# These defaults should work with other FreeBSD distributions, but have
# only been tested on FreeBSD 2.2.1.
#CATEXT = $$$$N
#MANROFF = cat
#MANDIR = man

It would also be nice if there were a way to change the group and owner of
the pages as below for consistency, but having them owned by root doesn't
seem to hurt anything.

Installing 4.9.6:

1. cd to /usr/src/contrib/bind
2. rm -r *
3. ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/4.9.6/bind-4.9.6-REL.tar.gz
	The 4.9.6 release is all in one package.
4. tar -zxvf *.gz
5. Change the values for CATEXT, MANROFF and MANDIR as indicated
above in the top level Makefile.
6. make clean
7. make
8. make install
9. Go to /usr/share/man and gzip the new man pages in man1, man3, man5,
man7 and man8 as indicated above.
10. Reboot, and you're done. :)

	For the 8.1.1 distribution, the following changes are needed to
doc/man/Makefile.  It would be nice if there were some kind of
system-specific comments in this file, since finding the right combination based
on the comments in there took a lot of trial and error. :)  The same gzip
process is needed as above, so the ISC people could duplicate those
comments if they really wanted to.

MANDIR = man
CATEXT = $$N
MAN_OWNER = -o bin
MAN_GROUP = -g bin
MANROFF = cat

Installing 8.1.1:
1. cd to /usr/src/contrib/bind
2. rm -r *
3. ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.1.1
	This distribution is in 3 files.  You want bind-doc.tar.gz and
bind-src.tar.gz for sure.  The contrib stuff was still almost all for 4.9.6 when I
installed 8.1, and I haven't had a chance to look at the contrib stuff for 8.1.1
yet, so I will leave this as an exercise for the reader.  :)
4. tar -zxvf *.gz
5. First go into the src directory.  All I had to do there was make, then make
install and I was in business.
6. Now go into bind/doc/man, and make the changes to the Makefile there
as indicated above.
7. make clean
8. make
9. make install
10. Go to /usr/share/man and gzip the new man pages as indicated above.
11. If this is the first time installing 8.1x, use named-bootconf.pl in
/usr/src/contrib/bind/src/bin/named to convert your /etc/named.boot file to
named.conf.
12. Reboot, and you're done. :)

	If you're installing 8.1.1 on a system that has never had a named
running on it,  you will want to go to /etc/namedb and run the make-localhost
script before you run the named.boot conversion script that comes with
BIND.  That should set up your localhost domain for you, which is basically
the only thing you need to run a resolver-only setup.

	Any FreeBSD-specific questions should probably be directed to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.  Other comments and suggestions are
welcome of course. :)

Good luck,

Doug

The man who fears nothing, loves nothing.