Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:28:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I like the idea of an "anal" package, though...
>
> Specifically, it is exactly the sort of thing I would install
> _after_ I was sure everything was working in SSH-land, rather
> than relying on the "automatic" process not failing.  People
> may want to consider that it is more security conscious to use
> an out-of-band mechanism to establish the key set, anyway.

I should clarify my position here: I'm not against tightening down the
defaults, I'm against making it harder for headless systems to be
configured due to tightening down the defaults in un-useful ways.  I think
the best answer to this is improved configurability: rather than simply
disabling all services, provide some options (that can be scripted for
headless installs) as to what is enabled and disabled by default.

The easiest option is to provide a big great knob enabling and disabling
inetd with a moderately useful set of things turned on in inetd.conf --
telnet, ftp, rlogin, etc.  When asking the user if they want it enabled,
be relatively specific in describing what it provides by default, noting
that local configuration changes will be relevant.

If inetd is disabled by default, that satisfies concerns about being safe
out of the box (a concern I can sympathize with), and when the user
chooses to enable it, they get a set of services with approximately the
same security properties: flexible authentication, low levels of
cryptographic protection when not used with Kerberos.

If someone wants to build an automatic inetd.conf frobber (dcs had a
libconf, I believe, that was capable of handling the backend of that
process), great.

You'll find, of course, that this closely resembles what we already have
available. :-)

  Robert N M Watson