Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:20:29 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marian Hettwer <T.C.McQueen@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

--ILuaRSyQpoVaJ1HG

On 2004.10.19 14:27:25 +0200, Marian Hettwer wrote:

> today I cvsuped to releng_5 and did the whole buildworld, buildkernel,
> installkernel, installworld and mergemaster stuff.
> I got 5.3Beta3 running before.
>=20
> The GENERIC Kernel (as build during the update process) stops after
> succesfully detecting my harddisk (ad0) with two times the message:
> ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
> ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

Yes this is a "known problem".  I'm have tested a few patches for sos@
on my ThinkPad R40, so hopefully this should be fixed soon.

> Well, unluckily I'm not able to get the OS booting, therefor I can't even
> downgrade to the last BETA ...
> any idea how I can get my FreeBSD booting again ?

You should have a kernel.old you can boot from.  Just break into the
loader and type "unload" and the "boot kernel.old".

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team

--ILuaRSyQpoVaJ1HG