Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:27:56 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update vs. make buildworld

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I use
> both methods; freebsd-update when I'm using a GENERIC kernel with no
> changes and the traditional method when the source has been altered, the
> kernel is customized or the processor is not supported under
> freebsd-update.

FWIW, the version of FreeBSD Update which is now in the base system
(starting with 6.2-BETA1) supports upgrading the world, kernel, and
source code separately, so on systems with custom kernel configurations
you'll be able to use FreeBSD Update to update the world + source code
and then only rebuild the kernel.

Colin Percival