Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:43:04 -0500
From:      "Ben" <ben@cahostnet.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux (More Questions!)

I agree with you on what you're saying but let me clarify some things
here as well.  I've been in the computer industry for quite some time
now myself.  Probably not as long as you but I'm no newbie in the
computer industry.  When I say the term industry standard I really
mean marketing trend.   In other words where will I find the most
bang for the money.  If I use Solaris for example, I can almost
guarantee that I will find something in the Unix world that I can fit
in.  Linux has also emerged to be a big player now in the market.
This is all marketing trends.  Tomorrow it could be something else
and that's fine.  That's what the industry is today.  What you learn
today could be gone tomorrow.  This is the reason I posed my
question.  Basically what flavor of Unix can I use that will be best
for learning the operating system so I can adjust to any type of
other flavored Unix platform.  Most of everyone here stated that they
thought BSD was the way to go because how it was structured and how
close that structure was to Unix itself.

Me personally, I work in an NT shop with some Unix.  My group will be
getting some Unix in the near future.  What we don't know.  See how
this can benefit me and put me in a better position to impress my
boss and better help my team?  As stated by you, no one can know
everything and that's correct.  Even the smartest engineers don't
know everything.  They may be perfect in their current position but
may not fit someone else.  I try to remain neutral whenever possible.
There's always room for the typical Unix machine and the NT machine.
I don't get in this war as I have to keep an open mind when it comes
to designing system for customers.  Not everyone needs Unix and not
everyone can benefit from NT either.  There are several factors to
consider.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with FreeBSD since I have
couple of servers already running for testing.  This will give me
more knowledge about it.  Thanks to everyone that replied.  It helped
in my decision making and I appreciate it.

Ben