Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:20:17 +0100
From:      "Dave J. Boers" <djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Christian Carstensen <cc@devcon.net>
Cc:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freezing...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 04:10:37AM +0100, Christian Carstensen wrote:
> this runs stable for 3 hours now...
> try a current kernel (checked out 4 hours ago), using a version of the
> file /usr/src/sys/pci/ahc_pci.c from 2000/01/06. ok, maybe it's not by any
> means stable, but works better than everything else within the last 24
> hours.

Actually, I've booted a kernel from just before newyear (28 december) which
works _reasonably_ fine (although it's the same kernel that gave me the
lockup earlier) with a userland of today.

Problem is that the lockups (I think) are ahc-related and my SCSI hard
drive did refuse to come online on one or two occasions while booting the
system cold... I therefore concluded that it might be a problem with the
hardware. Now (with the new kernel) I find the scsi system unstable and I
have doubts again.

One piece of information might also be useful in this context. After the
system lockup I sort of benchmarked the scsi performance by doing "dd
if=/dev/zero of=./testfile bs=1000000 count=128" (actually I varied the
blocksize) and got a _very poor_ performance of only 4 Mb/sec (which is
usually around 10 to 12 Mb/sec). I isolated my drive to be the only scsi
device and I even clocked the SCSI bus down from 20 Mhz to 8 Mhz, but to no
avail.

In the mean time, I disconnected my scsi hard drive and I am running from
my IDE disk.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--