Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:36:17 +1100
From:      Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   6-stable and Tcpdump problems

I am using the latest FreeBSD 6-stable and I am still having trouble
dumping tcpdump in clear text data.
In FreeBSD 5.x using 'tcpdump -A -s 0 -i sk0' I would always give me a
full screen Ascii dump of current network data to the screen but now it
just shows everything in Hex.
I submitted a send-pr on this sometime around 6.0 release but it never
got anywhere.
If you use the same command on 5.x it works fine.
I found the closest thing I can get is using tcpdump -XX -s 0 -i sk0
which dumps both Hex and Acsii anything with the '-A' which is normally
the important flag always results in Hex dumps.
Installing ngrep from ports and doing 'ngrep -d sk0' gives me the result
I want but I have found over time that ngrep often fails to work
depending on when I track 6-stable, I would prefer to use tcpdump always
working.

Can any one agree with me there is a bug here? I have the same result on
multiple machines.

Cheers,
Mike