Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:32:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Debbie Brown <mailbox@advancedmotion.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Debbie Brown wrote:

>What are the differences between BSD and FreeBSD?

BSD is the Unix upon which FreeBSD is based. FreeBSD is more current.

>Are user licensing required for FreeBSD?

There is a license attached to FreeBSD which is referred to as the
Berkeley license. It states that you can use FreeBSD for free.

>We are currently considering setting up our own mail server (for
>internet, internal etc) and would like to use UNIX, I have heard that
>FreeBSD and BSD are almost the same.

FreeBSD is more up to date than BSD as BSD has not been actively developed
for some time.

>Any help would be appreciated.  Also, what version and file would I
>download?

Version 2.2.7 or 3.0. Use 3.0 if you are willing to except a slightly
untested OS. 3.0 was released only a few weeks ago. See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html. Those instruction will have
you download the 3.0 install disc image. If you want 2.2.7 you must go to
our ftp site and download the 2.2.7 install disc image.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/