Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:47:22 -0500
From:      "Isaac Waldron" <waldroni@lr.net>
To:        "Salvo Bartolotta" <bartequi@nojunk.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: Newbie has a lot of questions - APM, ASUS mainboard and Pentium III

>I am afraid that John was somehow right.
>I appear to have discovered a minor bug, which seems to have >"ethical"
>connotations, so to speak.

>If I boot just after a "shutdown -p now", I get a "WARNING: /
>was not properly dismounted" error.

I've been able to reproduce that "bug" as well.  However, it happens on my
machine randomly, but particularly after heavy-IO jobs, like rebuilding the
world.  Though it doesn't seem to cause any damage, it theoretically could.
I wonder if it has anything to do with SoftUpdates, as I never saw this
problem before.  Of course, a simple fix would be to have the shutdown
program sleep for 5 seconds after the disk sync is finished, as the problem
may stem from the disk sync returning before it was sure that all the
required data was written to the disk.  I could be wrong, but I might try
that out.

BTW, I'm running FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE (20001210) on a Tyan S1573 motherboard
with a Western Digital 6.4 GB ATA-33 hard drive.  I'm not an expert on the
nuances of direct hardware programming, but it seems like not all the
sync/dismount data is being written.  When I say "shutdown -h now", the
machine works fine with no error on startup.

Isaac Waldron
waldroni@lr.net