Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2013 23:57:20 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org, Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [PROPOSAL] GEOM probing/tasting firewall

Hello, Pawel.
You wrote 2 =D0=B0=D0=B2=D0=B3=D1=83=D1=81=D1=82=D0=B0 2013 =D0=B3., 23:04:=
32:

PJD> Firewall idea is overkill for my taste. I'd much prefer to have a flag
PJD> which would tell GEOM not to present GEOM provider I'm creating for
PJD> tasting. This also means it would not be available via /dev/.
 I've thought about cases like "GPT in gmirror" and, worse, "MBR in gmirror"
to solve by such "overkill" solution -- you don't allow geom_label to taste
devices, which are included in mirror (or other RAID), but allow to taste
them by anything else, so they have /dev entries and picked up by soft-RAID
class they belong to...

 There was MANY threads about such problems in the past, and I don';t
remember to have good solution but "make mirrors out of partitions". Several
solutions were discussed, like "levels" of classes (to make tasting order
predicatable), but, as far as I understand, nothing was done, and no good
solution was found.

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>