Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:11:47 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Popof Popof <popof.fpn@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Unable to mount / in read - write mode

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 14:50:05 Popof Popof wrote:
> I can't install FreeBSD 7 from scratch because this is a laptop and the CD
> drive is dead.

Is it possible you installed the base system (make installworld), without
having installed the kernel (make installkernel)?
If that's the case, without an external drive or backups, your options to get
a working system again are very very slim.
The only two things I can think of that would work, is an usb memory card with
the 6.x mount command on it, that you'd run to remount / rw and take it from
there. Or a bootable memory card with 7.x kernel.

However, it would help a lot if you could give a bit more information:
- how does the kernel identify your disk (drive letters and numbers)?
- Can you capture anything like a verbose boot or dmesg?
- Output of `mount -a -d -v' command
- How you determined your upgrade went wrong and you "run 6.x".

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.