Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:45:53 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD do MS-style VPN?

--+KJYzRxRHjYqLGl5

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:58:49AM -0500, Doug Lee wrote:
> I have access to an office NT server via the Microsoft Virtual Private
> Networking Adapter, but since I run FreeBSD at home, I thought it would
> be cool to attach to the office server with FreeBSD instead of
> Windows.  Is there anything in FreeBSD (or the ports) which can attach
> to the server that way, preferably including password and data
> encryption support?  Also, can Samba or anything else perform as a
> server for such connections (I don't need that now, but it would be
> nice to know if it's possible)?

The protocol involved is called PPTP..there are several clients in the
ports collection.

xor# cd /usr/ports && make search key=PPTP
Port:   poptop-1.0.0
Info:   Windows 9x compatible PPTP (VPN) server
Maint:  nsayer@freebsd.org
Index:  net
B-deps:
R-deps:

Port:   pptpclient-1.0.2
Info:   PPTP client for establishing a VPN link with an NT server
Maint:  jdp@freebsd.org
Index:  net
B-deps:
R-deps: