Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:17:00 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>On 7/26/05, Kövesdán Gábor <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu> wrote:
>

>>Nikolas Britton wrote:
>>

>>>Is it just me or is -O2 now the default for kernel builds? What about
>>>-Os, safe to use?
>>>

>>So is it for me. But if I specify some CFLAGS, for example -O3
>>-march=athlon64, the
>>building fails, but CFLAGS mustn't affect the kernel compiling process
>>afaik. There is
>>COPTFLAGS for that reason. I've also made a PR about this new, unwanted
>>behaviour,
>>but haven't got any answers so yet.
>>

>You are right, COPTCLAGS is for the kernel only. -O3 is not officially
>supported for CFLAGS or COPTFLAGS. If you use -O3 for CFLAGS it will
>break some ports. Also from my experience using anything higher then
>CPUTYPE=p2 will break ports (like gstreamer).
>
>This is what I normally add to my make.conf file:
>CPUTYPE=p2
>CFLAGS= -Os -pipes
>COPTFLAGS= -Os -pipes
>#CXXFLAGS= don't remember what I set this too, don't use it a lot.
>
>If I want a port to build with different settings I just tell it to
>inline... make CPUTYPE=p4 install clean etc.

Yes, I know -O3 isn't supported for either, but I didn't mean ports. The
kernel building
fails with this:
CFLAGS=-O3 -march=athlon64
#COPTFLAGS=-O3 -march=athlon64   <-This is commenred out!
And this breaks the kernel compiling. See this:

>As far as -O2 as the default for the kernel... I thought it was more
>important to have a small kernel then a faster but fatter one. The
>smaller the kernel the more you can put in L1,2, and 3 cache and the
>smaller the program the less it needs to hit ram, swap, and hard disk?
>isn't this what apple does with their OS-X builds?

I also use -Os -march=athlon64 on the server I administer. :)

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán