Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 10:07:18 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD A Solution For Business

Josef Grosch wrote:
> YES!! we should focus on making FreeBSD _THE_ server OS of choice on a
> selected range of hardware. We already are making very good progress in
> this area. Pushing FreeBSD as the choice OS for a low-end workstation is
> also an area where can get a lot of traction.

Agreed - there are some areas of traditional UNIX workstation use where
FreeBSD shines.  I'm not sure these areas count for enough installations
for "the FreeBSD community" to really focus on; this would probably best
be left to "value-added partners" who understand these application domains
and can prep FreeBSD to be the best workstation system to use in these
areas.

For instance, the freely available embedded system RTEMS has used SunOS
as their preferred development system for quite some time, but many of
their users around the world have been seeking a less expensive dev
workstation.  They were leaning towards Solaris x86, since they already
have Solaris included in their toolset, but I've gotten one of their
engineers to look at FreeBSD.  Since their development tools are GNU-
based, FreeBSD is a simple platform to host their tools on; they pretty
much compile "out of the box."

This opportunity has a chance to get is some pretty good exposure in
the embedded development market, RTEMS is gaining fame rapidly.  It may
also serve to get wider awareness of FreeBSD as a non-realtime embedded
OS, the perfect partner to RTEMS for embedded work.  So, while I'd like
to see the embedded uses of FreeBSD advertised more, I don't think they
should take over the group consciousness of the FreeBSD community.  As
long as the core team focuses on making FreeBSD solid and fast, it will
suit the needs of embedded developers, both as a workstation and as an
embedded server os, quite nicely.

This is also why I reject the "focus on one area" thread running in
this list.  A better goal would be to form teams around business areas
FreeBSD can address, and have sombody coordinate all of these so we
have a consistent public "look and feel."  It would be nice to get a
few marketroids with an interest in FreeBSD involved; their input could
be VERY helpful in terms of helping get the message across: "FreeBSD -
the power to serve YOUR BUSINESS."  ;^)