Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:41:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Miller <jeffm@vr9.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root Mount Failed: 16 ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

Hello,

I tried to upgrade one of my server's to FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE
from FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE. I did this using make build/install world, etc.
Then I compiled my kernel as well I compared my existing kernel to the
GENERIC one to see if there were any new options from 4.2 to 4.5 and then
merged them into one combined one.

Now I get this message

Root Mount Failed: 16
ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

then it asks me to manual specify the root device so I give it a try with
all the known device names from the previous system but to know avail.

I looked at the boot messages just before it to see if maybe the Kernel is
initializing the drives on diffrent dev names but it is /dev/ad4s1a.

I was able to get the server running again but I am using my old
kernel on a system running 4.5-STABLE binaries. As you could imagine i am
having troubles with things like ipfw now giving me segmentation faults.

I have also tried using the CONF file from the working kernel to make a
4.5 KERNEL but it still has the Root Mount Failed: 16 Message.

I have looked through google and the Mailing lists to see if someone else
has encountered this problem and can't find any exact matches.

Best Regards,
Jeff Miller