Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:41:13 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
To:        "Unice, Kyle" <kyle.unice@intel.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Looking for someone

"Unice, Kyle" wrote:

> who has set up a private network using: natd, ipfw, named, sendmail, & ftp.
>
> My setup is the following:
>
> 1 dedicated connection to the Internet with a single IP address.
> An internal network that is connected to several machines.
>
> I want to run mail for several different domains, FTP service for several
> domains, httpd, and be the primary DNS server for my given domains.
> I know how to do httpd, but sendmail, ftp, named, and ipfw are giving me
> grief.
>
> I would guess someone has done this before..... right?

Yup!
But with an IP-block and not with a single static IP address.

1.    I would not go with sendmail, but qmail http://www.qmail.org/ combined
with vpopmail http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail

2.    I would prefer proftpd http://www.proftpd.net over the stock ftp,
especially with virtual domains on one machine. May be ncftpd is a good one
too, but I never got to try that one.

3.    named is a bitch if you haven't used it before, If you really want to run
named I guess you get the book DNS and bind. Otherwise, try djbdns, I think you
could find more on http://cr.yp.to/

4.    ipfw is easy enough, but you will have to recompile the kernel with the
options IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT and probably also IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE and
IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=#

Once you have a kernal with IPFIREWALL, run natd on the interface that connects
to the internet.

Also, make sure your reverse-DNS is setup properly and make sure your provider
not only assigns you the IP, but also assigns you the handling for the reverse
IP. I.e. if you do your own DNS.
I run into trouble with that a week ago when trying to using the mailing lists
@freebsd.org because postfix does do a reverse lookup and could not find my
domain name.

Hope this helps!

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

> Thanks in advance.
> Kyle
>
> W. Kyle Unice
> Senior Software Eng.                               Mail Stop  UT2 F2-46
> Internet Management Appliance Division   American Fork, Utah 84003
> Intel Corporation                                       Voice: (801)
> 763-2853
> 734 East Utah Valley Drive, Suite #300     FAX: (801) 763-2897
> Viewpoints, opinions, and content are my own and not necessarily those of
> Intel Corp.

Jan Knepper
Smartsoft, LLC
88 Petersburg Road