Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:20:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Walter W. Hop" <walter@binity.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   My `netstat -s` mysteries

Hi wizards,

I have been receiving a report that a high-traffic box I administer
sometimes slows down for no apparent reason. Loads are all safe below
0.2, the system is usually 90% idle, enough mbufs, box is responsive..
I collected some stats using `netstat -s` and found a few strange
numbers:

tcp:
	49879851 packets sent
		35413392 data packets (1461319754 bytes)
		2266985 data packets (1942109734 bytes) retransmitted

I'm retransmitting a whole lot it seems. More bytes than the total? Is
this normal or could it mean that the quality of the network isn't too
great?

	47256822 packets received
		3647 acks for unsent data

All other boxes I have, say '0 acks for unsent data'... Could this be a
result of my IP being spoofed somewhere?

	13169 listen queue overflows

I guess this is my responsibility and I bet it can be tweaked; is
kern.ipc.somaxconn the way to go?

Is there some recommended reading in interpreting these results?
Thanks!

wh0p

--
 Walter W. Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | PGP key: 0x84813998