Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:24:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@n2k.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 device timeout

> We had the same problem with ed0 'Device timeout'.  In our
> case it was because the ethernet card was set to a
> different IRQ than the FreeBSD IRQ.
> Also, it could be due to an IRQ conflict, eg a SoundBlaster
> trying to use the same interrupt.

Also, at the risk of stating the extremely obvious, be sure to check *all*
hardware.  I had the same problem over the weekend with an old 10Base2
(cheapernet) card.  I checked and rechecked all IRQs and even swapped
cards, with no luck.  The terminators turned out to be faulty.  As soon as
I put on two brand new terminators, the timeouts stopped, and the network
started working.
----
http://www.netaxs.com/~bmc/ ............. PGP public key available on request
Failing to get them to do it your way might mean they're stupid, but it also
means you failed to get them to do it your way.
	-- Cal Keegan