Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 18:28:30 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Chris Schaller <cs-lists@bsdguru.de>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 4.5-stable and F00F-Bug

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:57:55PM +0200, Chris Schaller wrote:
>=20
> >What does this have to do with the F00F bug?
>=20
> The F00F-Bug workaround does have to be enabled in the kernel!

Yes, but what does that have to do with the stated problem (not being
able to boot the install kernel)?  I suspect you are confused about
the actual nature and impact of the "F00F bug".

> The kernel of the 4.5 stable release seems to come along without that
> workaround enabled :-(

The install kernel does, because it's not needed.  It's included in
the GENERIC kernel that is installed by the installation process, and
which you will boot from when you run your system.

> Thanks to Jan Grant it works this way:
> Yeah, I had something similar with an older Pentium (+ MMX). If you
> want to follow this up, directing details of any error messages to
> -stable would help.
>=20
> By the way, I booted using the 4.4-RELEASE kern.flp and used a 4.5
> mfsroot.

That is not supported.

Kris

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd