Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2013 13:18:19 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Fernando =?iso-8859-1?Q?Apestegu=EDa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] Staging, packaging and more
References:  <524DD120.4000701@freebsd.org> <20131003203501.GA1371@medusa.sysfault.org> <CAGwOe2Ye2MLz3QpyMW3wyN9ew%2BiNnTETS1oOi_%2B8dPehUcWa0w@mail.gmail.com> <20131004061833.GA1367@medusa.sysfault.org> <20131004063259.GC72453@ithaqua.etoilebsd.net> <524E679B.9010103@infracaninophile.co.uk> <20131004070503.GF72453@ithaqua.etoilebsd.net> <524EB31C.6060102@quip.cz> <20131004132945.GL72453@ithaqua.etoilebsd.net> <524FE297.3030705@quip.cz>

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 11:57:43AM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
Why having

 Should we be

> >> I really like the current state with full packages. Disk space is chea=
p,
> >> full packages is default for whole FreeBSD existence and it is easy to
> >> maintain the system with it. If I want portA and portB, I just install
> >> portA and portB and if I want to see installed ports, I see two ports
> >> installed and not a bunch of lines like:
> >> portA-bin
> >> portA-doc
> >> portA-dev
> >> portB-bin
> >> portB-doc
> >> portB-dev
> >>
> >> When I need to update those ports, I will update two ports, not six or
> >> more ports / sub ports.
> >>
> >> Embedded systems are corner case, where many things need to be tweaked
> >> anyway.
> >>
> >> So I like the idea of default full packages with possibility to
> >> optionally select and install sub parts for those who really need the
> >> fine grained list of packages.
> >
> > That is because you keep thinking you have to build those ports yoursel=
f, we are
> > here speaking of binary packages.
>=20
> I don't think it's about building ports. It's about the list of what I=20
> need to have installed and maintained on our systems. And with this=20
> split to more packages, then the list will grow and tracking of changes=
=20
> and dependencies will become hell like on Linux distributions.
>=20
> Miroslav Lachman

Nope still will only have to maintain the same list, the rest will still
automatically be tracked, and the dependency hell we havr right know, will =
be
simplified, because less useless dependencies, packages will have less surf=
ace
for collision, pkg autoremove will keep taking care of the now unused deps,
etc...

regards,
Bapt

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e