Date:      Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:50:52 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        Harry Coin <harrycoin@qconline.com>, Dev Mazumdar <front@4front-tech.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade, fix and new, maximal CS4236B chip support to mss.c available for testing

--nextPart13215274.WTLFuYdndK

On Thursday, 4. August 2005 19:25, Harry Coin wrote:

> Also I wonder if any out there agree that the nature of the mixer ranges
> (linear, log, etc) and the DB amplification range ought to be published f=
or
> mixer levels (vague 0-100 doesn't specify much, the levels are documented
> in the patch and doc for this chip) so people know what they are getting
> when choosing a number between 0 and 100.   At a minimum what the db chan=
ge
> is at 0 and 100 and if it crosses 0db, the level to use for 0db.

All of that would definitely be very nice to have, but I'm not sure if OSS=
=20
currently provides the facilities to do that a generic way - I'm cc'ing Dev=
=20
Mazumdar of 4front who probably will know better.

If there isn't a generic way to do this, the only alternative would probabl=
y=20
be to write custom mixer applications for each device - or extend the=20
mixer(1) utilitiy in the base system to support some sort of driver profile=
s.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org