Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:44:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jorgen Pehrson <jp@wombat.ludvika.se>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AS 400 install problem

> Hi,
> I've tried to install 3.2-RELEASE on an AlphaStation 400/233. But the
> keyboard keeps locking up for some reason. I've made the two floppies
> containing kern.flp and mfsroot.flp. And the keyboard works all the way up
> to the point where the install asks me what terminal capabilities I've
> got, by giving me four different choices.
>
> So I think that maybe the problem is that my graphics card isn't
> supported and it tries to talk to a serial console instead.

That's correct; if it's asking you to select a terminal type, it thinks
it's talking to a serial port.  Odd that you actually see that though.

> It says PBXGA on the board if that's of any help.

No to me.

> If this board isn't supported is there a list of which graphics board are
> supported on the Alpha w/ SRM and FreeBSD (and Digital UNIX as well
> preferably)?

Most "normal" VGA cards.  I've used a variety of nasty ISA cards and
many PCI cards with good results.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org