Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 18:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Subject:   Re: The Ethics of Free Software

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 07:02 PM 5/23/2000, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >         Right. And man was never meant to fly, either. I realize that
> >arguing this point with you is silly because you just don't have the
> >background to understand how little about this topic you understand, so I
> >won't try further.

> Sounds like a religious argument to me. Complete with "holier than thou"
> elitism and assertion without proof (sigh).

	I started to respond to this, then thought better of it and hit
the wrong key. So, I will simply say that I did at least make reference to
a source for my position. You argued ad hominem against "famous
economists" in general, then quoted "natural law" to support your
position. Between the two of us I think I win narrowly on points.

	However my previous assertion stands. You don't know enough about
this topic to understand how little you understand. I used to tutor
economics, and learned the subject from some very talented
professors. But my qualifications are really beside the point... you've
proven in many prior instances that you're not interested in facts that
don't agree with your world views, so it's not worth my time.

	My purpose in posting to this thread at all was merely to point
out that there is another view, so that people who don't have a background
in economics are not tempted to take the "There's only one pie, and it's
always going to be the same size" argument seriously.

> Very typical of economists, and even more typical of political pseudo-
> economists.

	And now you're arguing ad hominem against me, which just goes to
show that you've already lost so I won't belabor the point. :)

--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire