Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 04:03:33 +0300
From:      vadik likholetov <vadik@cl.spb.ru>
To:        nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha ISO is fantastic!

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 07:26:20PM -0500, nm wrote:
> At 08:18 PM 3/4/00 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >Ai... If this is also the cause of my X trouble I wonder if it makes sense
> >to create the RC3 for Alpha with -O or -O0 ?
>
> Hmm, I am building XFree86 3.9.18 now, and I glanced in programs/Makefile
> and I see CDEBUGFLAGS = -O and then later on...
>
> CFLAGS = $(CDEBUGFLAGS) $(CCOPTIONS) $(THREADS_CFLAGS)
> $(MODULE_CFLAGS) $(ALLDEFINES)
>
> Does this imply that everything under programs/ will be built with -O?
>
> I will let you guys know how I make out, as far as stability goes
> (AS200, S3 Virge) when it finishes.
>
> Nick Maniscalco

I was not able to run 3.9.18 on both S3 Virge/DX and Matrox Millenium II
on my 164SX. The problem is in switching to videomode - it shows just
blank screen. The 3.3.6 is rather stable with S3V server, but switching
back to text console (Alt+Ctrl+Fx) causes kernel panic. Using SVGA
server has no problems with console switching but has problems with
(I suppose) pixmap drawing - pixmaps do not display, just nothing or
garbage displays on its place.
--
vadik likholetov