Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 11:49:33 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdisp@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        dror@dnai.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to solve the news server problem

> Hi folks,
> 3000 users I've never seen more than 30 concurrent readers
> on our news server. Our server runs on :
> 128 Meg memory
> 4 Quantum XP34300W (Fast wide 4Gig) Yes, I know 8 2 Gigs would be better.
> Pentium 133
>
> Response time is fine, but not spectacular. I suspect that the next
> step for speedup would be for us to have separate reader and feed
> machines. Right now this machine connect to 4 other ISPs to send
> and receive news.

even machine like that cant handle news too well nowadays? outch. since i
was planning running news on machine with about 10-12 2gig ultra wide
drives, with 256megs of ram and p166 or pro200... but it seems to me
that might be futile...

> I believe that my news server is spending most of its time receiving,
> writing to disk, organizing, and then removing files that NONE OF
> MY USERS WILL EVER LOOK AT. To put it another way, the reason that

indeed.

how about running the news on sgi challenge s?

i've heard there's news software available for sgi machiens that actually
doesnt neccessarry keep the unread groups on disk, when someone accesses
those groups, the software grabs those groups from the servers feeding
the machine... am i right? anyone more knowledge about this?

is there anyone familiar with the challenge s machines? the price doesnt
sound too bad, since it's only a little more than pro200, and has faster
bus and stuff... i could think the first place where the pc hardware loses
most _is_ the "slow" bus speed, coz you can drag only 132mbytes of stuff
cross the ethernets (possibly multiple interfaces) and scsi's (again
possibly multiple interfaces)

mickey
--
    mika ruohotie     mika@aeon.net       net/sys admin