Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 21:37:01 +0000 ()
From:      tim kelley <tim@fifth-avenue.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   16 hours with apache -- gasp

Dear questions:

Thanks for being so helpful --
But..I still have a problem getting apache to serve docs from two
directories. Here are the facts:

I have:

	2 servers running BSD
	2 domain names - fifth-avenue.com  and nysource.com
	206.215.163.2 is plato.fifth-avenue.com
	206.215.163.3 is aristotle.fifth-avenue.com
	plato is the mail server, ftp etc.
	aristotle is a dedicated apache server.
	Netcom is our pri and sec name server
	I believe they routed all incomming calls to www.fifth-avenue.com
		and www.nysource to aristotle in their routing setup.

	I have set up 2 aliased IPs --206.215.163.50 and .51
		with correct netmask values...I can ping them
	I call my ServerName www.fifth-avenue.com
	I set up one Virt.Host = www.fifth-avenue.com with
		DocumentRoot = /fifthavenue
	and the other as www.nysource.com, ServerName www.nysource.com
		Document Root /citysource

Here's what's happening-- whatever VirtualHost is listed LAST in the
httpd.conf file THAT'S the Documentoot that is acting for both. In
other words, if www.nysource.com is the last  VirtualHost in httpd.conf
and Dodument Root is /citysouerce BOTH Hosts serve from that directory.
Other way around, and bingo -- /fifthavenue is the docroot for both.
First it was funny, then a puzzle, now, after i gotta say 16 hours of
apache, it's a real drag.

I reloaded apache twice, I've tried all sorts of configs, but what seems
to be happening is one of two things...either the 2 domain names are so
tied by Netcom that they can't be separated so that in effect
www.nysource.com and www.fifth-avenue.com are like one domain and apaache
just takes the last DocumentRoot because it can't see the difference
between them OR it has something to do with using my primary and
secondary domain names incoorectly.

Anyway, if anything hits you, please let me know...We're setting up a
training center primarily for kids (cheap -its not a money making thing)
and I've got more problems right now than the Republican  party.

We couldn't figure out DNS in the short time we have to get *something*
up and running, but that is on my list and we'll be moving nameserver
action away from Netcom> There are still a couple of things I don't get
about our doing DNS.

So again...Thanks

Tim