Date:      Wed, 23 May 2007 15:58:58 -0400
From:      Tom Grove <freebsd@voidmain.net>
To:        PeterPluta <peter@placidpublishing.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Options fo a File Server

PeterPluta wrote:
> >From what I heard from most BSD'ers it's not really feasible to re-compile or
> customize the kernel much these days. If you truly need to compile/optimize
> the kernel you're already overworking your hardware. With that being said
> I’m curious myself, I'm always interested in squeezing a little out of my
> hardware.
>

> Ivan Carey wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> What would be the best Kernel options to run a file server?
>> I will be using an Intel server mother board with one Xeon quad core CPU
>> installed (this mother board has 2 CPU sockets) 2GB RAM and dual 500Gb
>> SATA HDD's
>>
>> I am thinking of options that would make the kernel efficient as a pure
>> file server.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ivan

First, please don't top post.  Thanks.

I typically recompile a kernel for almost every new machine.  You can
certainly change a great deal of options within the kernel that you
otherwise can't do.  For instance do a 'make LINT' in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf and grok the LINT file for options.  There are
tons of tweaks you could do.

If you want to tweak the file server I would look more into tunefs.  man
tunefs...this will probably be where you will find the most info about
getting the most out of your filesystem.

-Tom