Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:20:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@casselton.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, lists@lizardhill.com
Subject:   Re: Quotacheck failing

"Don O'Neil" <lists@lizardhill.com> asks on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:02:12 -0700

>  quotacheck: /home/quota.user: seek failed: Invalid argument THE FOLLOWING
>  FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
>  	/dev/twed0s1d (/home)
>
>  However, I have run a full fsck from single user mode on this volume and it
>  comes up clean every time. I've removed the quota.user and had it
>  re-generated, but that didn't help either.

The seek error is coming from quotacheck, I am guessing there may be a
uid (or gid if you are doing quotas per group) that is invalid (really
large or negative).

I would either:

	find (filesytem here) -nouser -exec ls -l {} \;

or

	recompile the quotacheck application to list the file entry
	that is causing the error.

--Mark Tinguely