Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:03:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        Mars Trading <marstrade@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buggy ATA controller: I can install 4.11, but not 5.3 !?!

--- Mars Trading <marstrade@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> I think you may be on to something here.  Not that
> I'm an expert, BTW.
> If I remember correctly, 4.11 doesn't use
> device.hints;
> device irq's and stuff were all included in the
> kernel configuration.
>
> This is no longer the case with 5.x which uses
> /boot/device.hints to tell where attached devices
> are.  But how does one edit device.hints on a
> boot cd?

I found a webpage:
http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=4&topic=acd
which mentions a bit about syscontrols, that might
be relevant to my problem.

So I hope this can be solved with 5.3 by setting the
proper hints/syscontrols as loader settings before
the kernel is loaded. But I'm don't know whether
the 5.3 install process allows me doing this.

How can I modify the install process and which
hints/controls should I modify? I hope someone
here on the list has some good ideas :).

BTW: I'm not booting from CD, but from the three
floppies, followed by a network install; but that
shouldn't matter.

Regards,
Rob.