Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:50:05 -1000
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (to: Sam Leffler) EMP-8602 400mw 802.11a/g/b wireless mini-pci

(I got involved outside the list, so I've subscribed to freebsd-
mobile to respond directly.)

The cards do work in freebsd-6.1 (and 6.0, albeit with a version
advanced HAL, which is
present in most of the pfSense distributions for the past 3-4 months.

There are two potential issues that I can think of:

1) 0xffin the upper nibble of the device ID typically means a pre-
production card.  Netgate hasn't sold any pre-production 8602s into
its customer base (and our records show that <pconover@ipro.net>,
while being a customer (thank you), didn't purchase any 8602 cards
from us.

In any case, if the card is, indeed "pre-production", it should
probably be replaced.

2) Its possible that the PCI reset timing is causing this issue.

Although this is the 'freebd-mobile' list, I have been told that the
application here is actually in
a PC Engines WRAP board.

Be aware that PC Engines recently released an update to the BIOS for
its WRAP boards.  From the release notes:

>    WRAP BIOS revision history:
>     ; v1.11
>     ; pd 051108 extend insufficient PCI reset pulse width - caused
>     ;           problems with Atheros single chip cards.

The 8602 cards are (indeed) based on a single-chip Atheros part.   It
would behoove <pconover@ipro.net> to check that the WRAP board is
actually running this release of the BIOS (or later).

Jim Thompson
netgate