Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:31:35 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@aripaev.ee>
Cc:        "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: big trouble - sendmail in todays stable NOT reading sendmail.cw

Lauri Laupmaa wrote:

> > I'm behind in updating UPDATING.  I should be
>
> Hmm, nice... after some thinking I found out that it would be very cool if
> mergemaster could fix it transparently... i.e. if exists
> /etc/mail/sendmail.cw then mv sendmail.cw local-host-names

	Stop thinking that. :) This same topic arose in relationship to other
sendmail-related file location updates, and I vetoed it in the strongest
possible terms. There is absolutely no way to deal with an issue that
has as much emotional baggage attached to it as people's choice of MTA's
without pissing SOMEbody off. Add to that the fact that it's actually
rather difficult to determine what's really the "right" thing to do in
any given case.

	The proper way to handle this is with prominent notices in RELNOTES.TXT
and src/UPDATING, which has already been done. If you can think of more
ways to get a user's attention, I'm sure those suggestions are welcome,
but mm isn't going to be one of those places.

	The fact is, we expect a certain amount of technical sophistication
from our users. I have worked hard to make everything we can easier to
deal with, but there is really no substitute for paying attention.

Doug
--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."
		- Kai, "Lexx"