Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:40:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Young <doogie@anet-stl.com>
To:        "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-ISP (E-mail)" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: why not uucp, instead of smtp and static ip?

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Mike Avery (on the road) wrote:

> >From my point of view, I don't want to be tied to a vendor, to an
> ISP.  Some ISP's disappear without warning.  Some get bought
> and the service goes to hell in a handbasket.
>
> So.... I want my own mailboxes at myname.com, not at
> yourname.com.  That way, if my ISP jerks me around - and it
> happens - I can call other vendors, find one more compatible with
> my goals, and then arrange for an orderly switchover, even it
> means paying the old ISP for a few extra months of service.  In
> short, I don't want to look at POP3 accounts at your site.

Most ISPs (us, for example) have the ability to take a given domain you
have with them (mydomain.com) and funnel all its mail into an account
luser@isp.com. This is more than likely the setup you'd use to retrieve
all of mydomain.com's mail.

If you want to take mydomain.com elsewhere, transfer it and have your new
ISP create a similar setup.

Jason Young
ANET/accessUS Chief Network Engineer