Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:04:55 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        baszd-meg@excite.com, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 06:54 am, baszd wrote:
| Hi Giorgos!
|
| > AFAIK, what you were doing is not always a good idea.  You were trying
| > to use the Linux restore program to restore data from a tape that was
| > written with something like:
|
| Of course you are right, but what else can I do? To move the backupserver
| to FreeBSD means getting back Linux-dumps (from other machines)with
| FreeBSD-restore. Mhm, the same thing the other way round. Installing on
| every server FreeBSD means a lot of work and a second backup machine means
| a lot of costs.
|
| I wonder how people do tapebackups in such mixed environments. It's not
| very seldom to have Linux- and FreeBSD-servers in one LAN.
|
| However, if somebody has an idea for a proper solution I would be glad to
| hear it.

There are a number of possible ways to handle this.

The first is to *not* use dump and restore at all, but to use one of the many
portable solutions for backup and restore, such as "tar", "cpio", "afio", or
"pax."  That way, you can back up and restore from any old system, and you
can switch, mix, and match backup servers willy-nilly.

Another way is to have all your backup servers be of one type.  It should
work just fine to use the Linux backup server to backup and restore a FreeBSD
disk as long as the disk was mounted across the network to the Linux machine
for the backup and restore; similarly, it should work just fine to use
FreeBSD as a backup server to backup and restore Linux disks as long as they
are mounted to the FreeBSD machine.

And a third way is to have Linux backup servers to backup and restore the
Linux machines and FreeBSD backup servers to backup and restore the FreeBSD
machines.

The only thing you *can't* do is to use one O/S to do the backup and another
to do the restore of that same tape.  If you have a bunch of tapes right now
under the "wrong" O/S, you have no choice but to switch over one of your
backup machines back to the other O/S, or to mount your restore drive on a
machine running that O/S.  The easiest is probably just to set up the
"restore" machine for dual-boot, since I presume that it's fairly rare to do
this sort of thing.

It also *might* work to use FreeBSD exclusively on the restore machine, and
run the *Linux* restore under the Linux eumulator for doing the restores of
Linux tapes, but I wouldn't be highly confident that this would work until
I'd tried it.  You definately can't go the other way, though--Linux doesn't
run FreeBSD programs the way that FreeBSD runs Linux programs.

Hope this helps.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go