Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:35:33 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken packages in FreeBSD? -- KDE 2?, Gnome?

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 6:44 pm, Gan Starling wrote:
> Does the FreeBSD package system admit of known broken packages?

yes

> Is there at least ONE graphical desktop (either KDE or Gnome) that
> TOTALLY works on FreeBSD? My current experience with BSD has only been
> with NetBSD, and I am not too happy with it. I seem to have gotten what
> I paid for with NetBSD, but only because it is free. What about FreeBSD?
>
> I have wasted much time and effort on KDE2 for NetBSD.

kde2 works mostly for me..... I do not use every facility and have no
interest in auditing  the documentation against the functionality. Be aware
though that as in most cases, kde / gnome are works in progress and as such
will inevitably have occasional problems

> The K archiver for NetBSD totally fails. I don't know what else fails,
> since these two were so discouraging that I have not looked much further
> into KDE2 on NetBSD.

Seems to work ok..but for me the command line rules here

> Is FreeBSD any better? Will I struggle in vain with undocumented
> problems in packages for FreeBSD? So far, my experience with BSD has
> been rather disappointing...but all with NetBSD. Will I be happier with
> FreeBSD?

It works for me......ymmv

> Do not any trolls answer, please. I only want facts. What graphical
> desktop TOTALLY works on FreeBSD? If there is a full-featured graphical
> desktop that TOTALLY works on FreeBSD, I would be convinced to switch
> away from NetBSD. If there is not any such, then I'll have to look into
> Linux.

what makes you think that Linux....which distro btw ;-)....will be any better?

In general, when I have had problems with a package, they have rarely been
undocumented and contact with the appropriate mailling list  or maintainer
has usually been productive.....you do have to put some effort in yourself
but when you do, it is usually worthwhile.

> Regards,
>
> Gan Starling
> Kalamazoo MI 49001

The adjuration to be "normal" seems shockingly repellent to me; I see neither
hope nor comfort in sinking to that low level.  I think it is ignorance that
makes people think of abnormality only with horror and allows them to remain
undismayed at the proximity of "normal" to average and mediocre.  For surely
anyone who achieves anything is, essentially, abnormal.
		-- Dr. Karl Menninger, "The Human Mind", 1930