Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:14:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, bruce@kit.net.au
Subject:   Re: Network problem...

I just noticed you are a fellow Australian :)

I've had no end of funny problems like that in the past and always had the feeling it was server (ISP) related. Since moving from commercial ISP's to a non-profit organization I find I get very few of the weird problems that I could never resolve before. My setup is fairly similar to yours .... BSD gateway & Win98 workstations (plus one Solaris) and its very satisfactory now although I did receive HEAPS of assistance from the list to get it sorted out initially.
If you are using MSIE5 that could be another cause of the trouble .... I've had a few problems with it going into a coma (happens in Win98 / NT4 / 2000 so its fairly obviously MSIE5 rather than the operating system) ... but with the BSD gateway running permanently I can fix MSIE5 by simply re-booting the offending gateway box. Another nasty trick all MSIE's play is the dreaded memory leak .... particularly if they've been running for a few days continuously .... again the fixes tha twork for me are to shut that service down and re-start (NT) or re-boot (Win9x)