Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:46:43 +0200 (EET)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1013925212.07e3f4@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About your operating  system

Mike Meyer wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> types:
> > On 2002-02-10 21:56, C J Michaels wrote:
> > > Don't want him going out and buying a USB modem.
> > > Aren't those Winmodems too?
> >
> > Indeed.  As a rule of thumb, most USB modems are Winmodems.
>
> Most? I'm interested in what gives you that impression.
>
> There's been a standard for USB modems that FreeBSD has supported for
> over a year now. The problem is that the standard includes an optional
> part that basically provides emulation of a serial modem for backwards
> compatability. The FreeBSD driver requires that, at least in -stable.
>
> Since all USB modems - and all serial modems, last time I checked -
> came with drivers for Windows, it's really hard to tell if a
> particular USB modem fails to work because it uses a proprietary
> protocol, which would make it a winmodem, or because it doesn't
> implement the compatability mode, which would mean it isn't a
> winmodem, it just uses a standard not supported in FreeBSD.
>
> So, have you verified that most modems just ignore the USB CDC specs,
> or are you tagging modems that follow the spec but fail to implement
> the AT part of it as "winmodems"?

Yes, I have probably been unlucky enough to have seen only USB modems that
do not implement what you call a compatibility mode :-(

All the USB modems I've seen work good enough with the Windows drivers that
are shipped with the modem, but do not respond to AT commands.

Giorgos Keramidas                           FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}      http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/