Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 10:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Subject:   Re: A CAM of worms

I agree with Justin's position, as long as it allows me to continue my work.

One of the drawbacks of sdeparate code trees, is the need to constantly
synchronize.  This is particularly critical in 3.0-current where important
changes have to take place frequently.

When I speak of co-existance, I am not speaking of being able to compile
CAMable and non-CAMable code into the same kernel.  Just to have both in
the same source tree is enough.  How feasible is this?  Can we add a little
script or config option to allow that?  Even if it requires some ifdefs in
some source files - I volunteer to clean it up once we can switch over, it
will really help.

The reason I am asking for this is that I want to track CAM, track the
-current kernel, and continue my own work on non-SCSI kenrel code.  This
represents four-way merge and if some moderate effort on your part can
reduce the uncertainty such merges introduce, I will really appreciate it.

This (merged source tree) and a listing as I outlined earlier will allow me
to proceed with CAM port of the DPT code in the fastest and most certain
way.

Simon