Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 11:50:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP hardware recommendations

Hi all!

My company considers buying a new SMP machine for some CPU/disk-intensive
tasks (similar to news server: searching and processing large quantities
of text files), and I convinced them to give a try to FreeBSD. The idea
behind it is to save some money on another Sun Ultra, if possible...

What hardware would you recommend? Now I'm thinking about the following
setup:

* MB: 2xPPro 200MHz, 512kB cache, manufacturer: ???, chipset: ???
* RAM: 256 MB (EDO ???)
* SCSI: Adaptec 2940U
* HDD: ??? (ca. 8 GB total)
* Network: Intel EtherExpress 10/100 (fxp driver)
* other hardware is less important (i.e. floppy, graphics, keyboard...)

And what do you think about performance of such a machine (comparing to
Sun Ultra 1/140)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sincerely yours,

---
Andrzej Bialecki                  FreeBSD: Turning PCs Into Workstations
<abial@warman.org.pl>             http://www.freebsd.org
Research and Academic Network in Poland