Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 09:54:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnetd and popmail 3

On Sat, 26 Aug 1995, what ever you want wrote:

>        I am curently running Freebsd on a P100 with 32 megs ram and 6 gig HD
> space.. i have noticed that when someone telnet's to the machine (We are on
> a T1) or uses the popmail server it takes like 3 min befor the system will
> come up with a login prompt.. i think this is way to slow! is there somthing
> i missed that would speed it up.. both the popmailer and telnetd are loaded
> plain in the inetd.conf file..

This sounds suspiciously like your client's in-addr.arpa domain is not
registered correctly, or your nameserver can't look it up.  The
login program attempts to findout who is at the other end of
the connection by useing a gethostbyaddr call.  Eventually it times out and
gives the login prompt.

Check your logs of who has been on (last | more), and if it only shows IP
addresses for the remote host, you've found the problem!

Andrew Webster  - http://www.pubnix.net/~captain
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-948-2492   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3