Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:33:38 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "mailbox@advancedmotion.com" <mailbox@advancedmotion.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:01:35 -0500, Debbie Brown wrote:

>What are the differences between BSD and FreeBSD?

FreeBSD is based on BSD 4.4Lite.  I supported minicomputer systems
running Gould's UTX-32 which was part System V and part BSD back in
1985-1990.  I had always hoped to get my hands on a low cost BSD.
Imagine my surprise when I found FreeBSD for FREE!!  Actually, I spent
$60 and got Greg Lehey's book with CDs.  But that was version 2.1.5,
and I've since downloaded via the Internet version 2.2.7 and 3.0RELEASE
for free.  The book still comes in handy.

See http://www.freebsd.org/

>Are user licensing required for FreeBSD?

no

>We are currently considering setting up our own mail server (for
>internet, internal etc) and would like to use UNIX, I have heard that
>FreeBSD and BSD are almost the same.

FreeBSD is based on BSD 4.4Lite.  There is only one FreeBSD specific
book in publication, to my knowledge, but I have collected many BSD
books over the years (since 1985) and they are applicable.  If you find
yourself needing books, check out http://www.ora.com/

>Any help would be appreciated.  Also, what version and file would I
>download?

If you have Internet access that doesn't charge by the hour
(unlimited), even if it's via a 33K modem, you can download two files,
boot.flp and either fdimage.exe or rawrite.exe.  fdimage.exe is the
current best bet, but if it doesn't work on your system, try
rawrite.exe.  And then boot the floppy, and install FreeBSD via the
Internet for free.

There are instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

You could also buy the only FreeBSD specific book on the market WITH or
WITHOUT CD-ROMs at http://www.cdrom.com/

Specifically check out http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/os.htm

You could buy the CD-ROMs without the book, but the book will save you
a lot of time.

I recommend that you buy or download version 2.2.7 and learn how to
track -stable with cvsup.  The latest release of FreeBSD is 3.0, but
it's still in development and needs more polish.  You don't need the
headaches.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.