Date:      Tue, 23 May 1995 19:45:29 -0400
From:      AlexAdroog@aol.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Superblock error (part 2)

In a message dated 95-05-23 16:37:18 EDT, AlexAdroog@aol.com writes:

>It seems that upon every boot or fsck that I am receiving and error
>"CLEAN
>FLAG IS WRONG IN SUPERBLOCK". The system will boot  with the clean
>flag and
>then fsck will attemp to fix it. Sometimes it will fix it and carry
>on,
>othertimes it will abort with a panic. By running fsck manually it
>seems to
>clean up the problem yet, upon a reboot, I get the error again, and
>again.
>Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to the nature of this
>problem?
>
>ThanX, Timothy

I have a home brew system....
"IBM" - 486sl2/66 Chip (i am thinking it may well be a cyrix chip, though I
am not sure.)
Maxtor 7546 drive (PCDOS -  200, FreeBSD 250)
Totally generic vlb controller. standard serial and par.
Diamond vid-card.

Now as far as startup and shutdown goes..
I am bringing the system to halt (shutdown -h) before powering off the
machine, although I am using reboot (shutdown -r) to simply reboot the
machine. I will halt the machine and then reset it before going to dos. Is
this correct? It seems that during the boot sequence it seems to go up fine,
yet upon running fsck it will show me the error. Though sometimes it will
pick it up at boot time and go into a panic sequence and reboot. It seems
that even when fsck fixes the problem it is in all actuallity still there, or
returns frequntly after being fixed. Thanx for your time and help!!

- Timothy