Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:50:40 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Global (non _KERNEL) place for sockaddr_union?

--nextPart3113315.aWgR6iTeVk

Hi,

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/71836 is the symptom. Now=
 I am=20
looking for a clean solution to it. What is needed is an include file that=
=20
defines union sockaddr_union in a way that is useable from kernel and=20
userland. Historically it seems that this union first apeared in context of=
=20
ipsec within the kernel. pf has adopted it, but uses it in the userland as=
=20
well. I am sure that it can be usefull in a lot of places that have to deal=
=20
with/store different address formats.

My question now is, what would be a good place to define this? Are there an=
y=20
fromal standarts that might define it already? (Couldn't find anything) Is=
=20
there anything else that I must consider?

At some point I though netinet/in.h might be a good place, but that'd requi=
re=20
inclusion of sys/socket.h, which certainly is not a good solution.

Opinions? Ideas?

> #include <sys/socket.h>
> #include <netinet/in.h>
>=20
> union sockaddr_union {
>  struct sockaddr   sa;
>  struct sockaddr_in  sin;
>  struct sockaddr_in6  sin6;
>  struct sockaddr_storage __su_pad;  /* maybe not a bad idea */
> };

=46reeBSD:
 netipsec/keydb.h, line 43 (_KERNEL)
NetBSD:
 netipsec/keydb.h, line 46 (_KERNEL)
OpenBSD:
 netinet/ip_ipsp.h, line 50 (non _KERNEL)
KAME:
 net/pfvar.h, line 699 (non _KERNEL, ! __OpenBSD__)
Linux:
 Doesn't seem to have it. Or has it under a different name?

=2D-=20