Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2006 02:12:29 -0700
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@gmail.com>
To:        "Nick Withers" <nick@nickwithers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd not starting on boot-up

On 6/7/06, Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:23:18 +0700
> Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th> wrote:
>
> > At 04:35 PM 6/7/2006 +1000, you wrote:

> > > system to
> > > had
> > > Everything
> > > from

> > >That looks alright to me...

> > >Are there any error messages relating to IPFW / natd on boot?
> >
> > No, or at least none I could see. That's why I've asked for help.
> >
> > >What version of FreeBSD are you running?
> >
> > 6.1-STABLE
>
> Perhaps there's something wrong in the branch at present...?
> Doubtful, I guess.
>
> > >What's the command
> > >you're running that _does_ launch natd successfully?
> >
> > "/sbin/natd -n ed1". I hadn't thought about "/etc/rc.d/natd start" until
> > someone suggested it, but that works too and reads the interface from
> > /etc/rc.conf.
> >
> > >  What's the
> > >output of "ls -l /etc/rc.d/natd"?
> >
> > [poppy] ~# ls -l /etc/rc.d/natd
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  978 May 31 09:52 /etc/rc.d/natd
>
> Hmmm... Well that all seems OK, then.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that the
> 'router_enable'="YES"' line's creating dramas.
>
> As I understand it, this'll cause /etc/rc.d/routed to attempt to
> launch the routing daemon specified by a 'router="..."' line,
> which you don't appear to have. I don't think this'd interfere
> with natd anyway, but I don't really understand what the hell's
> going on in /etc/rc.d/routed.
>
> Sorry I can't be more helpful!
> --

I don't run route(daemon) so I don't know about router_enable, but
here is what I have in my rc.conf to get natd working:

#router stuff
natd_program="/sbin/natd"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="rl0"
natd_flags="-dynamic -f /etc/natd.conf"
gateway_enable="YES"

So I use gateway_enable not router_enable.

I don't know if this applies to your problem completely, but might be
worth a shot.