Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:27:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   top dumps core if specific errors in password file

>Submitter-Id:	current-users
>Originator:	Mike Hogsett
>Organization:	SRI International Computer Science Laboratory
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	top dumps core if specific errors in password file
>Severity:	serious
>Priority:	medium
>Category:	bin
>Class:		sw-bug
>Release:	FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2 i386
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD beast.csl.sri.com 4.7-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2 #2: Tue Nov 26 16:48:30 PST 2002 hogsett@beast.csl.sri.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BEAST i386

If there is an incorrect entry in a NIS netgroup file & this netgroup file
is used to append specific NIS password database entries to the local
password database top will dump core at startup.

In gdb it shows top failed inside endpwent(3)

(gdb) where
#0  0x2810cbd8 in endpwent () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
#1  0x2810d421 in endpwent () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
#2  0x2810c1da in getpwent () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
#3  0x804b28e in free ()
#4  0x804cb94 in clear ()
#5  0x8049389 in free ()

Since this error is appears to be within endpwent(3) I presume that
programs using this function may also be unstable.

>How-To-Repeat:

NIS netgroup file [NOTE: user3 entry incorrect] :

somegroup (,user2,),(,user2,),(user3)

master.password contains :

+@somegroup::::::::/tmp:/usr/bin/false

>Fix:

Well obviously fix the netgroup file error, but endpwent(3) should not
fail so severely.