Date:      04 Jun 1998 00:24:16 +0200
From:      Sebastian Strollo <seb@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [gunnar@pluto.sr.se: Compile error]

gunnar@pluto.sr.se (Gunnar Flygt) writes:

> Is there really noone that can comment on this?? No answer so far.

Ok, here is a shot:

[long list of headers removed]

> I fetched the total src and ran a make buildworld this morning. After 1 1/2
> hours of compilation I get this error:
> /usr/src/sbin/newfs/mkfs.c:902: structure has no member named `ts_sec'
> /usr/src/sbin/newfs/mkfs.c:903: structure has no member named `ts_sec'
> /usr/src/sbin/newfs/mkfs.c:904: structure has no member named `ts_sec'
>
> Something missing! What?

When it comes to sources I found the CVS web interface
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi) to be very helpful! Taking a
look at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/newfs/mkfs.c
shows that the rename of ts_sec to tv_sec took place a *long* time ago
and that makes it sound that you have old source code. Checking the
directory of ftp.sunet.se as you mentioned does reveal that it is an
old version of that file, in fact it is the version in the old
"-stable" branch, i.e. the RELENG_2_1_0. I don't know what the file is
doing there (is the directory FreeBSD-stable on the ftp mirrors used
anymore, anyone?).

If you want to rebuild your system from the sources I suggest you get
the sources from the 2.2.6 release (as I think you said you were
running 2.2.6 in another email) and then run cvsup to get up to date
with the latest sources. How to do this is described in the handbook:
http://www.se.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook260.html

Hope this helps,

-- Sebastian